The Cancer Education Materials for Patients and Caregivers (CEMPC) program aims at demystifying cancer through the production and distribution of cancer education materials for use by health workers and patients and their caregivers. The materials come in two forms:
- Flipcharts – used by health workers in counseling cancer patients as a guide on the kind of information they need to pass to cancer patients. Before engagement, the health workers first undergo a two (2) day training which equips them with knowledge on cancer and skills on effective communication, breaking bad news, counseling, and handling cancer patients. The flipcharts are available in both English and Swahili.
- Patients and Care Givers Booklets – the booklets are issued to diagnosed cancer patients and their caregivers with an aim of demystifying the disease. The booklets cover various issues such as what cancer is, signs and symptoms of the disease, the treatment options available and their side effects, palliative care and pain management, diet and lifestyle management, and tips for caregivers. The booklet is available in English and Swahili as well.
As of August 2019, KENCO has trained over twenty-five (25) civil society organizations and over one hundred (100) health workers from over forty (40) health facilities providing cancer treatment and care services around Nairobi and its environs Coast, Rift Valley, and Western regions and is actively working with these organizations and facilities on the distribution of these materials to cancer patients and their caregivers. To date over fifteen thousand ( 15,000) materials have been distributed benefiting over twelve thousand (12,000) patients and caregivers have received booklets with at least six thousand (6,000) more estimated to receive them by the end of this year.
The CEMPC is owned and copyrighted by the American Cancer Society and was developed in close collaboration with The Ministry of Health of Kenya, Kenyatta National Hospital, Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, Aga Khan Hospital, and the Kenyan Network of Cancer Organizations (KENCO) who provided technical guidance and design recommendations. The Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs facilitated the process.
To download the Full-Color CEMPC, click on the links below:
- What You Need To Know About Cancer: A Guide To Patients and Caregivers
- Unachofaa Kujua Kuhusu Saratani: Mwongozo Kwa Wangonjwa na Wahudumu Wa Afya
- What You Need To Know About Cancer: Flipchart For Use With Patients and Caregivers
- Unachohitaji Kujua Kuhusu Saratani: Kwa Matumizi ya Wagonjwa na Wauguzi
- How To Communicate With Cancer Patients: Tips for Health Care Workers
To download the Grayscale CEMPC, click on the links below:
- What You Need To Know About Cancer – A Guide For Patients and Caregivers_Grayscale
- What You Need To Know About Cancer – Flipchart For Use With Patients and Caregivers_Grayscale
- Unachohitaji Kujua Kuhusu Saratani- Kwa Matumizi ya Wagonjwa na Wauguzi_Grayscale
- Unachofaa Kujua Kuhusu Saratani – Muongozo Kwa Wangonjwa na Wahudumu Wa Afya_Grayscale
- How To Communicate With Cancer Patients Tips For Health Care Workers_Grayscale